Dec 1, 2010

What's in a Name

So, I've decided to move my blog. Perhaps use this opportunity to reinvent myself.... Like Madonna?

I don't know.

I'm trying to make the most of the situation and perhaps have a blog that's a little more focused. Or perhaps a new attitude or angle that will get me to write daily, rather than when I can stop reading all the other blogs and find time to write mine.

Sitting here trying to find a new name. And I have nothing. Nada. Zero.

Every name I come up with is already taken. I guess this is what happens when you get into blogging seven years too late.

I can't even remember how I'd come up with Flucky Mom. But I liked it the moment I thought of it.

What's in a name any way?

There are so many brilliant blogs out there that don't have the most original names. In fact most are pretty generic. But the women behind them are one of a kind. Smart, witty, accomplished.

Maybe my new blog name should be "Generic Mom."

(Of course not, I wouldn't reveal my new name on here. Kind of defeats the purpose.)

Perhaps it's my former ad girl background that's got me all worked up about finding a good name. After all, your blog name/title is almost like your brand name. It's a first impression. Should I be self-depricating, sarcastic or truly insightful about the name I choose? Should it be something clever? Something that ties back to a part of me?

Ok, so now I'm setting myself up for utter disappointment. Of course nothing that I wither (a) come up with or (b) still available in the bloggersphere will meet all my criteria.

Think, think, think....

For now, all I can think of is how annoyed I am to be in this situation in the first place. Maybe I should be "Pissed-off Mom." And of course, that name's already taken too!

How did you pick your blog names?

4 comments:

Esperanza said...

I used to have a different blog name but then I changed it when I had my daughter because my old name was about TTC after loss and it didn't fit the new content of my blog. I thought about it for about a week before I came upon Stumbling Gracefully and I loved that. My url never had my title in it, so I didn't need to worry about that. I still really like my url too!

I hope you think of something. Sorry your husband's insensitive slip wrought all this havoc for you!

Good luck!

Esperanza @ esperanzasays.wordpress.com

Lori Lavender Luz said...

You can do what I did -- ask your readers. I got a lot of good suggestions that helped me to get to my new name.

Just a bit of advice: beware of trademarks! lol

JJ said...

So sorry you have to move :( I emailed you about access to the new space.

Mine came to me after our male factor infertility diagnosis--kept thinking about our "genes" being passed on, so I used "jeans" to be a bit lighter with all of it!

Kathy said...

I love the name Flucky Mom! I'm so sad...but happy for you and your new adventure!

Post a Comment

I love comments. Good ones, bad ones... ok, mostly good ones. I will write back to everyone.